School Certifying Official for Veterans Affairs
Job no: 500886
Work type: Restricted
Location: Malibu Campus
Categories: Office of Student Information Systems
The School Certifying Official (VA) will report to the Associate Registrar. The SCO will be responsible for assisting military-connected students, prospective students, and staff with all administrative needs across the University. The SCO will evaluate and process Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits, verifies student benefit eligibility, assists students through the benefit application process, and updates benefit information on a continuous basis. The candidate should have strong interpersonal and organizational skills, must possess excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and must demonstrate strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills. This position should possess the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information. Candidates should be able to demonstrate detailed-oriented work experience.
- Act as liaison between the Department of Veteran Affairs and Pepperdine's Military-Connected Students who are utilizing VA education benefits.
- Assist students who are eligible for education benefits in applying through the Department of Veteran Affairs.
- Keep VA informed of the enrollment status of students receiving VA education benefits.
- Certify students receiving VA education benefits each term using VA-ONCE system and monitor enrollment; add/drop/withdrawal.
- Monitor use by Post-9/11 GI Bill students and be able to differentiate between tuition/fee payments to properly certify to VA.
- Assist Student Accounts Department to identify students who are eligible for VA education benefits, set up special billing, and post tuition/Yellow Ribbon payments.
- Audit and monitor payments received by the VA and process debt letters accordingly.
- Administer and monitor the Yellow Ribbon program for students who are eligible.
- Assist Associate and Assistant Registrar with all Military-Connected Student Administrative Services.
- Notify State Approving Agency (SAA) and Department of Veteran Affairs of current and new programs, changes in programs, and institutional changes.
- Apprise supervisors of any internal problems which may affect service to VA students.
- Maintain records for at least three years following the student's last date of attendance and ensure records are filed electronically in Etrieve system.
- Keep up to date on current VA rules, benefits, and participate in VA trainings.
- Ensure that VA students are aware of their responsibility to the school; attendance/registration.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent. Experience in Google programs and Microsoft Office.
Preferred: Financial or Accounting proficiency Experience with Oracle PeopleSoft and Database management; VAONCE reporting system. Knowledge of SCO reporting procedures and standards. Financial or Accounting proficiency. Standard HR requirements of ID/Drivers License.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Restricted, Nonexempt, 40 hour per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend