Director of Production
Job no: 500915
Work type: Regular
Location: Malibu Campus
Categories: Center for the Arts
The Director of Production supervises all aspects of backstage operations for the Center for the Arts to facilitate high-quality performances and support all campus events in the facilities. The Center for the Arts presents an innovative, unique, entertaining, and diverse program of exceptional performances and museum exhibitions.
- Supervise technical crew on setup, show, load out, training, and maintenance calls.
- Personally set up, run, load out, and perform maintenance in Center for the Arts facilities.
- Correspond with internal and external artistic personnel and technical coordinators to prepare for shows.
- Schedule work calls and approve timecards for back-of-house staff and student crew.
- Supervise Technical Director. Oversee backstage and shop areas, ensuring that they operate in a safe and efficient manner. Assist with communication and coordination for Theater Department performances.
- Research, oversee, and implement major renovation and improvement projects.
- Project and track technical expenditures.
- Review contracts and production riders for professional presentations.
- Purchase equipment and supplies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: BA in Theater or Equivalent. 5 years experience in production management. 5 years experience supervising technical crew. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-energy environment while maintaining a customer-service attitude and a sense of humor. Theater equipment including lighting consoles and equipment; sound consoles and equipment; counterweight fly system; PC computers; personnel and scissor lifts; installation, maintenance, and programming of moving lights. Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Preferred: MFA in Production Management, Technical Direction, or similar. 10 years of experience in production management. Extensive experience supervising unskilled crew members in a university environment. Proven ability to learn and adapt to new theatrical technology. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter interested in learning more about the field and sharing this knowledge with our student crew.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Exempt, 40 hour per week position.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend