Public Safety Officer
Job no: 500944
Work type: Regular
Location: Malibu Campus
Categories: Public Safety
The Public Safety Officer provides and maintains a safe and secure environment while respecting the rights and dignity of individuals utilizing the programs and facilities of Pepperdine University. The mission shall be accomplished within the constraints of federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
- Under the immediate supervision of the watch commander, spend the majority of time in the field in pursuit of the successful completion of building security checks, foot/vehicle patrols, officer report writing, booth operations, parking enforcement, fleet management (including vehicle check off sheets), key control, service requests, trainings, crime prevention education, and other designated duties.
- Retain primary responsibility for the operation and staffing of the campus entrance booths on campus. Provide information and screening to persons and vehicles seeking access to the property.
Support the University's mission, ethics code, and all applicable standards and policies by encouraging and maintaining a safe, peaceful, and orderly community through education, enforcement, emergency response, and services delivered 24-hours a day, 365 days per year.
- Develop and maintain positive community relations through community-oriented public safety goals to create bonds of trust and reliance between officers and members of our community.
- Collaborate with and support all Public Safety personnel and members of the Pepperdine community to foster and maintain a positive, honorable, efficient, and professional work environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Public Safety leadership.
- Uphold the University’s mission through work performed. Respect and honor the values of and commitment to Christianity which is foundational to Pepperdine University. Devote full attention to responsibilities when on duty.
by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: High school education or equivalent. Possess or obtain within the first 90 days of employment CPR and basic first aid certificates. Supportive of the Christian mission of Pepperdine University with the ability and desire to promote the University’s mission. Supportive of and willing to adhere to the University’s Code of Ethics. Strong interpersonal skills, including a pleasant disposition and an ability to communicate with diplomacy and tact in sensitive situations. Ability to maintain confidential information. Ability to exercise sound judgment and work independently. Ability to handle multiple, simultaneous responsibilities in potentially stressful situations. Ability and willingness to work a wide variety of shifts, including potential late night/early morning hours, weekends, and holidays. Possibly working extended shifts on short notice and/or being called into work outside normal scheduled hours. Available to work a flexible workweek and ability to rotate to new shift assignments as assigned. Strong oral and written communication skills. Ability to enter data into a variety of computer software programs and communicate daily via email. Ability to obtain knowledge of law enforcement and public safety methods. Ability to obtain knowledge of crowd control and traffic enforcement techniques. Ability to obtain general knowledge of local, state, and federal laws, including the California Vehicle Code. Ability to assist in fire fighting and rescue operations. Possess a valid Class C, California driver's license, and good driving record.
Preferred: Haz Mat First Responder certification or higher. Work experience in security or customer service-related field.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment physical and a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Nonexempt, 40 hour per week position.
Starting salary: $20.50/hr
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend