Public Services Librarian
Job no: 500975
Work type: Librarian
Location: Malibu Campus
Categories: School of Law, Administrative/Office Support, Libraries, Other
The Public Services Librarian provides excellent customer service to all library users while managing the day-to-day operations of the Public Services Department. As the public face of the Law Library, the Public Services Librarian contributes to the University's mission and strategic plan by welcoming users to the library, assisting with their academic and scholarly needs by identifying and providing appropriate library materials, continually seeking to improve library efficiencies, promoting library resources and services, and supervising other members of the Public Services staff. The position reports to the Assistant Director for Reference and Access Services.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Public Services Desk, including circulation reserves, interlibrary and intercampus loans, overdue notices, library displays, and general assistance to students, faculty, staff, and public users. Participate in library collection development efforts, and assist in the evaluation of the collection.
- Supervise Public Services staff, including the Public Services Supervisor, weekend and evening Public Services assistants, and student assistants -- including hiring, scheduling, and training.
- Create, update, and maintain course/electronic reserves.
- Participate in library orientations, and develop law guides and other patron materials.
- Oversee shelving and maintenance of library materials, including stacks management, shift planning, weeding, and filing.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Bachelor's degree; ALA-accredited Master's in Library Science OR equivalent of education and professional library experience. Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong public service orientation and commitment to offering exceptional customer service; ability to maintain pleasant professionalism and display good judgment when interpreting policies and explaining procedures; excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team; ability to work effectively and professionally in a fast-paced environment with regular interruptions. Comfortable with regular use of PC-based computers, MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), fax machines, printers, and copiers.
Preferred: Two years experience in an academic library setting, preferably in a Public Services position; experience supervising staff and/or student assistants in an academic setting. JD from ABA-accredited law school. Creative thinker when planning events, creating displays, and producing signage to effectively market the library; demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with all levels of users and staff, across all library, law school, and university departments. Experience with an integrated library system, such as OCLC WMS.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Librarian, Nonexempt, 40 hour per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend