Job no: 500980
Work type: Restricted
Location: Malibu Campus
Categories: Skilled Craft/Trade, Other, Campus Operations
Pepperdine University, a private, non-profit, faith-based institution, seeks a Shuttle Driver to safely transport students, faculty, staff, and guests to and from various destinations on and around Pepperdine's campus, serving those with accessibility needs following ADA regulations. This position serves as a front-line ambassador, upholding the University mission through work performed, warmly welcoming students, community members, and guests, and providing directional information as needed. This position provides additional support to the Lead Shuttle Driver to cover schedules. Greeting each passenger with a smile is the first step to making them feel welcome on the Pepperdine campus. As a member of Pepperdine's Transit team, the Shuttle Driver will be one of the first, and most regular faces interacting with our passengers. There will be occasions on which departments within the University will request off-campus special events that will require shuttle services. The incumbent will be expected to reflect Pepperdine's high customer service standards with a friendly and helpful demeanor.
- Drive vehicles over specified routes or to specified destinations according to time schedules in order to transport passengers, complying with traffic regulations. Pick up and drop off students at regularly scheduled locations, following strict time schedules.
- Perform daily vehicle inspections by checking the condition of a vehicle's tires, brakes, windshield wipers, lights, oil, fuel, water, etc., and ADA equipment to ensure that everything is in working order.
- Follow safety rules as students are boarding and exiting buses, and as they cross streets near bus stops.
- Keep shuttle exterior and interior clean for passengers. Regulate heating, lighting, and ventilating systems for passenger comfort.
- Report any vehicle malfunctions or needed repairs to supervisors. Report delays, accidents, or other traffic and transportation situations, using cell phones or mobile two-way radios.
- Prepare and submit reports that may include the number of passengers or trips, hours worked, and mileage.
- Drive special events example: Graduations, Bible Lectures, and others as assigned.
- Interact with the Pepperdine community in a professional, courteous, and friendly manner.
- Understand basic computer skills including E-mails, Google Calendar, and use of GPS for directions.
- Work flexible hours morning, evening, and weekends. There may be times when overtime is required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Uphold University mission through work performed. Participate in Living Pepperdine daily lineups and provide discussions.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: High School Diploma. Over 1-year of experience in operating a commercial vehicle with passenger endorsement. Customer service skills; knowledge of state, county, and federal laws that pertain to transportation and transit required; written and verbal skills to effectively communicate with supervisors, law enforcement, and customers; ability to follow written and verbal directions. This applicant will need to have and demonstrate the ability to work under a tight priority workload, provide excellent customer service, and possess a spirit of teamwork. Ability to obtain and maintain a Class B License with passenger endorsement. Customer Service skills. Ability to interpret maps, and directions, and understand GPS systems and instructions. Knowledge of state, county, and federal laws that pertain to transportation. Written and verbal skills to effectively communicate with supervisors, law enforcement, and the community. Capable of following written and verbal directions. General understanding of Google Mail and Calendar. Proficient in using a GPS system for directions and mobile phones, 2-way radios, and computers/tablets.
Preferred: 3-5 years' experience operating a commercial vehicle.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Restricted, Nonexempt, 40 hour per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend