Network Engineer I, Network Engineering
Job no: 500989
Work type: Regular
Location: Malibu Campus
Categories: Information Technology, Technology
The Network Engineer I supports and maintains a robust, multi-campus local area network (LAN) and wide area network (WAN) infrastructure to meet the communication, connectivity, and data needs of the Pepperdine University community. Is a valued member of the Network Engineering team, part of the Systems and Networking group.
- SYSTEMS, NETWORK, AND RESOURCE MANAGEMENT: Configures and maintains: access-layer switches, distribution-layer switches, core switches, routers, and similar devices. Supports and maintains a University-wide wireless network, local area networks (LAN), and a wide area network (WAN). Validates compliance to security protocols, including enforcement and administration of network security policies and services through firewalls, proxy services, LANs, WANs, virtual private networks (VPNs), etc. This position requires that the candidate be flexible enough to adjust his/her schedule as directed by the supervisor to perform periodic network maintenance and upgrades around business and academic calendars.
- TRAINING AND SUPPORT: Provides tier-1 technical support and troubleshooting of networks and networked environments. Performs duties in a customer service environment and collaborates with IT colleagues to resolve technical problems. Reviews and/or resolves trouble tickets and service requests. Creates new documentation and updates existing documentation for procedures in a clear and concise manner. Participates in a rotating "on call" schedule with other members of the team.
- COMMUNICATION AND RELATIONSHIPS: Represents Pepperdine and IT in a professional manner when collaborating with internal and external stakeholders. Develops and maintains strong partnerships with campus personnel and departments, as well as with external vendors and service providers, to assure current and future operational success. Works with high integrity to maintain the trust of the University community.
- ADMINISTRATION: Reviews and submits regular, timely, and complete paperwork and processes, such as status reports, bi-weekly or monthly timesheets, assessments for mid-year and annual reviews, and other routine IT and University practices.
- COLLABORATION: Provides backup support and assistance to other team members. Collaborates with co-workers and University colleagues on departmental, division-wide, and institutional projects. Shares process information and makes informal recommendations on how to improve processes and overall job execution within the team/department.
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Attends training sessions, vendor presentations, user group meetings, conferences, and seminars. Engages regularly in individual professional development-related activities to remain current with industry technology trends and work processes.
- COMMITTEES AND BEYOND JOB DUTIES: Volunteers to undertake tasks that stretch the employee's capabilities. Serves on various committees within the Information Technology division. Participates in external University committees. Performs other related duties as assigned.
- UNIVERSITY MISSION: Understands and supports the Christian mission of the University. Upholds the University mission through team, location, atmosphere, and work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: One (1) or more years of network support. TCP/IP experience. CCNA certification or equivalent experience. Strong verbal and written communication skills, will be a true team player with a commitment to success, and will be able to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing network environment. Demonstrated ability to identify, analyze, and troubleshoot problems and determine their source. Ability to resolve problems or to quickly escalate issues and manage their resolution with the assistance of others (e.g. third-party vendor expertise).
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree within related technical/business areas. One (1) or more years of networking experience; WiFi 802.11 experience. Cisco CCNA and other related Cisco certifications are strongly desired. Experience with Cisco Call Manager and other VoIP systems (Unity, Presence). Experience with Cisco VPN technologies. Knowledge of routing protocols: EIGRP, BGP and OSPF. Excellent troubleshooting skills. WAN troubleshooting knowledge. Experience working independently with service providers. Strong knowledge of LAN-related technologies: STP, vlans, HSRP, VTP etc. Working technical knowledge of HTTP/S, DNS, SNMP, Tacacs+ etc. F5 Load Balancing configurations and support is a plus. Supporting wireless technologies (Cisco).
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Exempt, 40 hour per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend