Supervisor, Mechanical Services
Job no: 501099
Work type: Regular
Location: Malibu Campus
Categories: Facilities, Skilled Craft/Trade
Under the direction of the Senior Manager of Maintenance Services in the Department of Facilities Services (DFS), this position supervises assigned maintenance trade personnel to ensure an efficiently functioning, safe, and clean environment in which the University can live, learn, and work. The Mechanical Services Supervisor is responsible for daily work prioritization, quality control, and customer communication. The position supervises approximately 11 technicians and oversees relevant maintenance, project, and event support processes. Collaborate with DFS leadership to create a culture of collaboration and excellence.
- Supervise and oversee the activities of all in-house HVAC-R staff, after-hours staff, and contracted services for the Malibu campus by using both verbal and written instructions in compliance with the guidelines provided by the immediate supervisor. Assist in hiring qualified employees by participating in the interview process and making recommendations regarding the employment of applicants. Enforce University rules and policies regarding employee conduct by advising maintenance personnel of the University's rules and policies on employee conduct, issuing verbal warnings and written reprimands for violations, and recommending progressive disciplinary action to the immediate supervisor as appropriate. Provide staff with written evaluations annually and regular, ongoing informal evaluations. Ensure that administrative records and reports regarding personnel are accurate and current by reviewing employee time cards or monthly time sheets and monitoring employee absences.
- Ensure that HVAC-R Department and associated maintenance services meet the needs of the department, the University, and established industry guidelines by scheduling work activities and adjusting workloads to compensate for scheduled and unscheduled absences, changing priorities, and special projects. Ensure that the quality of services meets established guidelines by inspecting the work of maintenance personnel and directing corrective measures to be taken when necessary to meet those guidelines. Responsible for daily work order assignments, stakeholder communications, and aligning staff resources with community priorities and needs. Perform regular administrative tasks such as maintaining files, processing paperwork, invoice tracking, develop TMA work accountability reports, and develop Preventive Maintenance Program for all Mechanical systems equipment and commercial kitchen equipment.
- Develop an effective team of Lead, HVAC-R technicians, Building Maintenance technicians and Pool technician by instructing all employees in the proper methods and use of materials and equipment for safe and efficient work performance, evaluating individual performances to meet established standards, providing required performance evaluations for HVAC-R and Mechanical personnel, and making recommendations regarding the retention of new employees. Attend training seminars and professional development forums related to this position. Develop training opportunities for Lead and technicians to improve their skill set relative to their job responsibilities both technical and administrative. Training to include customer service relations and communication both verbally and written.
- Assist with planning and assessment of facilities. Provide leadership in concert with the University's mission and DFS goals and objectives.
- Advise the Senior Manager of Maintenance Services on the condition of University building systems and mechanical systems by conducting regular inspections of those areas and reporting the results of the inspections with particular emphasis on needed repairs.
- Ensure that personnel have the equipment and supplies necessary to perform services by issuing supplies as needed, completing request form(s) for replacement items, and storing the supplies and equipment in a secure storage facility. Evaluate new supplies and equipment by conducting testing of such items and recommending the appropriateness of their use.
- Provide continuity of services under emergency conditions or unique circumstances by performing duties directly related to the emergency conditions or as the situation dictates. Assist with ensuring that specified contract services are provided by the contractor by inspecting the work performed and advising the immediate supervisor when shortcomings or other deficiencies are noted.
- Contribute to the overall success of the assigned department by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned. Modify work schedule to provide periodic oversight of off hours and weekend staff as requested by the Senior Manager of Maintenance Services.
- Contribute to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds. Uphold the Living Pepperdine standards in day-to-day work; participate in Daily Line-Ups and be able to articulate how the standards tie to daily work.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Proof of legal U.S. working status. Graduation from high school or its equivalent. Ability to read and interpret mechanical drawings. Strong English written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Experience with and knowledge of basic maintenance procedures, equipment, and supplies. Knowledge of purchasing, budgeting, scheduling, record keeping, and good maintenance practices. Basic computer skills and competency with Microsoft Office and Google email. Knowledge and experience using a computer work order system. Must hold a valid California Driver's license, maintain an acceptable DMV driving record, and remain insurable by University insurance carrier at all times while employed. Must be able to bring a current DMV driving record printout on the first day of employment. Ability to use a desktop computer. Mobility and ability to move around construction sites. Ability to bend, stoop, twist, traverse rugged terrain, and climb up and down ladders and scaffolding. Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds (and occasionally up to 100 pounds), including up and down stairs.
Preferred: Six (6) years of experience at the Journeyman level, two of which have been supervisory. Completion of a recognized apprenticeship or trade school.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Exempt, 40 hour per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend