Job no: 501187
Work type: Regular
Location: Calabasas Campus
Categories: Integrated Marketing Communications, Communication/PR/Marketing
The Communications Specialist is a foundational role that increases awareness, understanding, and support of Pepperdine’s mission, vision, and accomplishments through an integrated communications and storytelling strategy. The role identifies, researches, and writes compelling content that promotes the University and its five schools for internal and external audiences, disseminating it across multiple platforms including print, digital, and social media. This position reports to the associate director of editorial.
Integrated Marketing Communications is directly tasked with supporting the University’s mission and strategic plan by building brand equity, elevating the University’s national reputation, providing strong and consistent institutional message leadership, and implementing effective integrated marketing and communications strategies. The communications specialist fulfills an important role in helping the department accomplish its goals.
- Content Development - Write, edit, and assure quality in all written work, including in feature articles, news releases, advertisements, internal news and announcements, videos, brand positioning and marketing campaigns, physical and digital signage, and more. Partner with the associate editor to develop the Pepperdine Newsroom into a robust platform of relevant stories with a strategic focus highlighting major brand themes, news, and announcements from across the University. Identify opportunities to collaborate with colleagues across the University to translate their needs into effective communications and develop content strategies that engage a broad range of audiences. Assist members of other teams with developing and executing editorially led content.
- Editorial Strategy - Work with the editorial team to identify, create, and execute editorial strategies that support Pepperdine's strategic goals. Establish a clear tone of voice across all brand channels and touchpoints. Identify compelling stories and envision new ways to communicate them through various channels using a robust and comprehensive editorial calendar. Ensure consistency in all editorial activity. Contribute to the evolution and enhancement of the Pepperdine voice and story.
- Internal Communication - Develop and manage communications that advance information sharing and storytelling within the University community, including internal newsletters, email, mobile app content, and digital information hubs. Coordinate strategic messaging for digital and print that may arise to support University and department stakeholders.
- Public Relations and Social Media - Support University and brand storytelling through amplified public relations and social media engagement. Contribute to the growth of Press Room with academic and research-based news releases and a storytelling engagement strategy for faculty and University leadership. Assist in the development of story-driven organic and paid social media that advances brand reputation, recruitment, and fundraising.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or related field. 1-2 years of experience in editorial, content, or copywriting/editing capacity with the ability to adapt style and tone to fit various media and audiences. Experience developing, implementing, and measuring editorial initiatives across print, web, and social platforms. A proven ability to work on varying timelines and to maintain flexibility in a fast-paced work environment. Collaborative mindset in order to partner and interface with internal colleagues both in the department and across the University. Creative energy. Superior written and verbal communication skills. Strong project management skills. Demonstrated experience successfully working with peers. Demonstrated success at working under tight deadlines. Proficiency with Google Apps.
Preferred: Experience in higher education communications. Experience with social media content development. Familiarity with SEO policies and measurement. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Nonexempt, 40 hour per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend