Reference and Digital Collections Librarian, Law Library
Job no: 501420
Work type: Librarian
Location: Malibu Campus
Categories: School of Law, Libraries, Other
The Reference and Digital Collections librarian will perform professional work providing reference services, managing the library’s collection development, and serving as administrator of digital collections. This position will also participate in teaching activities, the faculty liaison program, and will be responsible for maintaining the law library webpage. The position reports to the Assistant Director for Reference and Access Services.
- Perform professional law library work in the library's reference department, including working scheduled hours at the reference desk to provide library users with direction to library materials and equipment and expertise on complex legal resources. Manage faculty research projects. Oversee student workers at the Public Services desk when other staff members are unavailable.
- Oversee management of library digital collections, including access, statistical, and vendor information and relations. Along with other reference staff, evaluate and recommend new titles for acquisition, whether in print or electronic format. Keep collection development policy up to date, determining circulation policies and judging the efficacy of maintaining certain materials.
- Manage the dissemination and promotion of faculty scholarship through SSRN, Google Scholar, HeinOnline, and other digital platforms. Maintain up-to-date listing of faculty publications in conjunction with other reference librarians. Create scholarship impact reports to assess scholarly output using traditional and alternative metrics.
- Evaluate usage/cost statistics for all online products and print continuations (2x/year at renewal and mid-term).
- Support curricular needs of the law school community in conjunction with other reference librarians. Develop class-specific research guides and bibliographies. Manage and maintain database of past law exams for student study. Offer in-class or library legal research instruction.
- Manage law library social media presence and collaborate with other departments to highlight library offerings.
- Assist with technical processing or other access services projects as needed.
- Perform duties of other Reference and Access Services staff when necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: JD from ABA accredited law school. MLS or MLIS from ALA accredited graduate program. Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills. Commitment to high-quality service and team-orientation. Ability to coordinate activities and develop new services. Strong legal research skills. Creative problem-solver. Ability to work in a busy environment with constant interruptions.
Legal research platforms and databases – Westlaw, Lexis, Bloomberg, Hein, etc. Non-legal research platforms and databases – JSTOR, PsyInfo, etc. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite – Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point. Standard office equipment: copiers, printers, fax, telephones.
Preferred: 3-5 years of professional experience. History of increasing responsibilities. Record of teamwork and service. Experience with LibGuides and Google Suite.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Librarian, Exempt, 40 hour per week position.
Expected Pay Range: $64,480 - $70,030 per year
The above pay range reflects what Pepperdine University reasonably expects to pay for this position at time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on relevant factors such as work experience, market conditions, education/training, and skill level. In addition to base pay, Pepperdine offers a robust and highly competitive benefits package.
Advertised: Pacific Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend