Under direction of the Manager, Maintenance Services and Supervisor, Maintenance Services for the Department of Facilities Services (DFS), and in collaboration with colleagues, the Maintenance Plumber performs installation, repair, and maintenance of plumbing systems, fixtures, and related devices throughout campus facilities.
- Oversee and perform troubleshooting, installation, repairs, and Preventative Maintenance (PM) programs for plumbing equipment including faucets, grease traps, flush valves, sinks, water heaters, commodes, drinking fountains, domestic water heater pumps, swimming pool and water feature pumps and filter equipment, flush meters, backflow prevention devices, valves, sewer pipelines, water meters, and related devices.
- Manage materials, parts, and equipment, including inventory tracking, record keeping, product research, and supply procurement.
- Assist with the project delivery process including preparation of programs, estimates, budgets, schedules, status reports, and other relevant documentation. Monitor all work, equipment, and systems for compliance with plans and specifications, applicable codes, industry standards, best practices, and Pepperdine standards.
- Identify and address issues in need of attention and generate work orders accordingly. Accurately record and report all work performed indicating the time and materials expended.
- Perform regular administrative tasks such as maintaining files, processing paperwork, entering data, and monitoring systems.
- Assist department in successfully meeting long-range objectives.
- Maintain required trade-specific training and certifications and obtain further training as needed. Participate in staff improvement including training programs. Participate in continuous PM process improvements. Maintain required trade-specific training and certifications and obtain further training as needed.
- Collaborate with vendors and contractors as required.
- Assist other trades (electrical and mechanical) with tasks as needed.
- Coordinate project activities with University departments such as Department of Design and Construction, Public Safety, Information Technology, Regulatory Affairs, Events, and University administrators to ensure that all parties are well-informed and that work proceeds on schedule with minimal impact to University operations.
- Research, prepare, and present information and reports as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Uphold University mission through work performed. Monitor all work, equipment, and systems for compliance with plans and specifications, applicable codes, industry standards, best practices, and Pepperdine standards. Accurately record and report all work performed indicating the time and materials expended. Ensure effective communication and coordination among all internal and external project participants and stakeholders. Maintain tools, equipment, and a clean work area.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Graduation from high school or its equivalent. A minimum of three 2 years of paid experience in plumbing work for a reputable plumbing contractor. Broad technical knowledge of practices, principles, and techniques in the plumbing field and industry-standard PM processes. Analytical and problem-solving skills to successfully resolve issues. The ability to understand plans, design specifications, and manufacturer's instructions and recommendations to ascertain the configuration of plumbing equipment and components, ensure their proper installation, and remedy issues. Competency in using tools and operating equipment of the trade such as handheld power tools, motorized snakes, pipe threading, piping inspection tools, sewage pumps, power washers, and torches. Strong English written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Must consistently project a professional demeanor and positive attitude, and be able to effectively and professionally communicate with University administrators and project clients. Willingness and ability to periodically work overtime hours, respond to emergency calls after hours/weekends, and work rotating weekend shifts providing general maintenance duties for the campus. Basic computer skills and competency with Microsoft Office. Must hold a valid California Driver's license, maintain an acceptable DMV driving record, and remain insurable by University insurance carrier at all times while employed. Must be able to bring a current DMV driving record printout on the first day of employment. Normal mobility and ability to move around construction sites. Ability to bend, stoop, twist, traverse rugged terrain, climb up and down ladders and scaffolding is required. Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds, including up and down stairs, and occasionally lifting and carrying 75 pounds up and down stairs is required.
Preferred: Experience and technical knowledge of practices, principles, and techniques in the electrical field and/or carpentry are desirable. Experience with computerized maintenance management software, such as TMA. California licensed plumber or ability to readily obtain license preferred.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Nonexempt, 40 hour per week position.
Expected Pay Range: $23.40 - $26.00 per hour
The above pay range reflects what Pepperdine University reasonably expects to pay for this position at time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on relevant factors such as work experience, market conditions, education/training, and skill level. In addition to base pay, Pepperdine offers a robust and highly competitive benefits package.