The Industry Specialist serves as critical member of Seaver College Career Center team. The position provides customized industry specific support for students and alumni, as well as employers within the areas of communications, arts/fine arts, media, marketing, and entertainment. The position also provides tailored internship, job search, and graduate school coaching for students and alumni as well as sourcing and recruiting support for employers.
- Manage employer contacts and identify, develop, and approve internships and jobs in designated industry clusters; support designated employers with recruiting/posting internships and jobs; support their on-campus recruitment.
- Provide internship and job search support for students and alumni searching for opportunities in designated industry clusters. Cultivate a network of alumni, faculty, and professional mentors within designated industry clusters.
- Build faculty, student, and community partnerships through classroom and group presentations, networking events, training sessions, outreach, employer partnerships and information sharing. Manage industry-specific marketing.
- Maintain internship, student, alumni, and employer data within Handshake platform. Use Handshake to target students/employers within industry cluster and tailor communications and job blasts.
- Support Career Center through working events like Career Fairs and contribute to the development and implementation of strategic initiatives and assessment with regard to student learning outcomes.
- Engage with professional community through career-related associations and organizations; attend chapel; serve on emergency response team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Bachelor's degree. At least 1-3 years experience in relevant industry (e.g., media, arts, entertainment). Experience developing and coaching staff or students and alumni for professional development including: career planning/ exploration, progress planning, and assessment, resume and cover letter review, mock interviews, internship and job search strategies (or talent sourcing), LinkedIn support etc. Strong communicator with the ability to influence others and create meaningful relationships. Ability to work collaboratively and as a team player with directors and other staff members as well as students, faculty, and employers; takes direction as needed. Effective problem-solver, able to align tasks, priorities, and new ideas to department strategy, strong written and verbal communication skills, confidence using LinkedIn, keen ability to develop relationships and leverage network. High aptitude for learning, using, and training others how to use technology. Ability to troubleshoot technology issues and resolve problems quickly in the interest of students, employers, and staff; willingness to use other forms of technology to improve collaboration and streamline work flow; confident learning and mastering new forms of technology.
Preferred: Master's in communication, arts, or other applied discipline. Experience in relevant industry (e.g., media, arts, entertainment). Prior career services experience in providing students and alumni with career coaching and/or proven success with employer relations, recruiting, or talent sourcing. Ability to increase competency and depth of knowledge about job functions within industry cluster. Effectively outreaches to and supports recruiters through customer service, networking, and relationship development. Proven ability to manage projects to successful completion in support of department mission; takes initiative to provide customized support for constituents; suggests new ideas and solutions to improve service and efficiency within parameters of department plans and priorities; closes the loop and meets expectations of role. Experienced teacher and presenter on career-related topics. Specific industry knowledge in communication, media, arts, entertainment, etc; consistently performs above expectations; active listener; good time management skills; knowledge about career services or recruiting; ability to communicate federal regulations and high standard of learning objectives with employers in establishing and maintaining internship programs. Specific competency using career management systems like Handshake is a plus. Evaluates emerging technologies to expand and scale career services to students, alumni, and employers.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Exempt, 40 hour per week position.
Expected Pay Range: $64,480 - $67,000 per year
The above pay range reflects what Pepperdine University reasonably expects to pay for this position at time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on relevant factors such as work experience, market conditions, education/training, and skill level. In addition to base pay, Pepperdine offers a robust and highly competitive benefits package.