The temporary partner relationship specialist will serve as a critical member of the summer staff for Special Programs. The specialist will be responsible for upholding, fostering, and expanding the University’s commitment to hospitality and excellence in customer service. Working with external and internal stakeholders, this position is responsible for advancing the legacy of Pepperdine University, and ensuring a world-class experience for everyone visiting Pepperdine’s Malibu campus in the Summer of 2023. This position requires a flexible and optimistic servant leader, willing to take the steps necessary to contribute to the department and Pepperdine University as a whole. This is a highly visible role, which necessitates a variety of communication, patience, determination, and critical thinking in order to thrive.
This role is responsible for assisting Special Program’s summer operations in a variety of ways, including but not limited to client communication and problem resolution. This individual, in additional to the team of student employees, plays a critical role in the summer programs in ensuring excellence in the execution of events and overnight stays as an outstanding exemplar for the Pepperdine community. This position is a critical point person for groups coming to campus to ensure strong hospitality. Due to the department’s varied needs in the summer, the temporary partner relationship specialist must be willing to work flexible hours, including later shifts and weekends. This temporary position will start out part-time (10-15 hours per week) with a target start date of March or April and increase to a full-time schedule from approximately May through August. This position will be eligible for overtime.
- SUMMER OPERATIONS ASSISTANCE: Serve as a point person for summer clients coming to Pepperdine's Malibu campus. Coordinating with permanent staff or student employees in order to provide world-class hospitality and customer service for all guests. Anticipating clients' needs and proactively communicating information that is critical to a successful summer program as well as ensuring the University's needs are met. Working with numerous internal and external stakeholders to ensure the success and reputation of the department. Undertake and delegate the various daily, weekly, and ad hoc tasks needed to run a summer program.
- STUDENT EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE: In conjunction with the Manager, assist in providing varied and relevant assignments to students in order to build their professional experiences. Assist the students in tasks directly or indirectly when necessary.
- CLIENT COMMUNICATION Ensure excellence in proactive client communications for various groups visiting in the summer. Anticipate client needs and work inter-departmentally to address any questions.
- VENDOR COORDINATION Coordinate, maintain relationships, and communicate with vendor services, such as dining, catering, and linen providers, on behalf of the department.
- VISITING FACULTY HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT: Assist Special Programs team with visiting faculty apartments during summer months. Communicate arrival and departure dates with visiting faculty and stakeholders as needed. Provide friendly and warm hospitality with faculty and guest staying on campus.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Uphold the University's mission through all work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: One plus year of professional or educational experience in faith-based higher education or event planning. Passionate commitment to Pepperdine University and its mission, vision, values, and goals. Commitment to the highest ethical standards, with personal and professional character and integrity beyond reproach. Collaborative approach to work with a demonstrated ability to build relationships with a variety of personalities and work styles. Excellent oral communication skills. Superior written communication. Superior discretion and confidentiality. Exceptional organization, planning, and time management skills. Appropriate sense of urgency and responsiveness. Ability to meet deadlines and manage competing priorities. Ability to work weekends, some holidays, and evenings. Ability to quickly learn new processes and procedures and adapt to assignment changes. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Creative and solutions-oriented approach to problem-solving. Superior attention to detail. Superior aptitude for customer service and hospitality. High levels of initiative and a proactive approach to work. Commitment to excellence in every aspect of work. Joyful and optimistic demeanor. Familiarity and knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint). Familiarity and knowledge of Google suite. General office familiarity with printers, scanners, copiers, phone systems, etc.
Preferred: Familiarity with Pepperdine University business practices. Experience or background in faith-based higher education. Experience in event planning or hospitality management. Knowledge of StarRez.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Temporary, Nonexempt, 10-15 hour per week position.
Expected Pay Range: $17.00 - $20.00 per hour
The above pay range reflects what Pepperdine University reasonably expects to pay for this position at time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on relevant factors such as work experience, market conditions, education/training, and skill level. In addition to base pay, Pepperdine offers a robust and highly competitive benefits package.