Manager, AV Technologies
Job no: 501629
Work type: Regular
Location: Malibu Campus
Categories: Information Technology, Technology
Working with IT Client Services leadership, the Manager of AV Technologies oversees the AV Technologies department, annual AV refresh projects, and other AV technology solutions that support the mission of Pepperdine University.
- LEADERSHIP AND ADMINISTRATION: Provides strong leadership to the AV Technologies (AVT) area of IT Client Services. Sets departmental goals and objectives, reviews the goals and objectives of the area, and aligns teams and projects with the strategic goals of IT Client Services and the University. Creates a cohesive and synchronized AVT support infrastructure; empowers supervisor(s) to monitor and develop his/her staff; empowers staff to take ownership of duties, projects, and problems; to work collaboratively in flexible teams with strong camaraderie; to provide excellent, compassionate customer service; to gather and analyze metrics for team and area success; to work with high integrity to maintain the trust of the University community; and to manage time, information, and resources responsibly for excellent stewardship and productivity. Creates a culture of data-driven decision-making where staff regularly logs trouble tickets or individual work output, and management regularly reviews this data and other sources for continual service improvement. Enforces a "Three Things" approach for all employees to either be (1) conducting work duties; (2) contributing to a special team, area, or IT projects; or (3) improving knowledge and skills through professional development. Holds teams, individuals, and IT partner vendors accountable for following procedures/practices and representing the University well through word and deed. Provides high-quality services at optimal cost to colleagues; manages associated expenses within the scope of the departmental budget. Reviews, approves, and/or submits regular, timely, and complete paperwork and processes, such as bi-weekly or monthly timesheets, financial activities, assessments for mid-year and annual review processes, and other routine IT and University practices for self and staff. Keeps personal, team, and shared workspaces clean and organized.
- COMMUNICATION AND RELATIONSHIPS: Promotes professionalism across the team to ensure that self and each staff member represent Pepperdine and IT in a professional manner when collaborating with internal and external stakeholders. Develops and maintains strong partnerships with University departments and leadership, as well as with external vendors and service providers, to improve IT outcomes and to assure current and future operational and strategic success. Routinely meets and communicates with colleagues and stakeholders to assess project status and promote a solutions-oriented mindset. Works closely with department staff of key stakeholder groups to understand needs, align services, and ensure smooth operations for AVT services and technologies. Identifies client service improvements and shares success stories with clients and team members.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT: Takes ownership of assigned projects and plays a proactive role toward the goal of project completion from start to finish. Consults with fellow CS managers and team leads in their use of project planning, resource planning, risk planning, and communications planning in collaboration with their respective supervisors. Provides qualitative and quantitative inputs on project status, staff participation, staff availability, use of tools, templates, and methods as related to IT's portfolio of projects. Interfaces between IT project managers and University stakeholders to facilitate the alignment of IT projects with the University's strategic goals. Plays a neutral role in deciding which projects are to be done but plays a leading role in providing project-related metrics to CS senior leadership.
- RESEARCH, ANALYSIS, AND REPORTING: Conducts needs analysis and documents existing business or process requirements with constituents to identify opportunities for service/process improvements or new projects. Regularly reviews support requests and constituent feedback (in-person, email, support ticket, etc.) to assist in root cause analysis and identify solutions and enhancements to improve user experience and system performance/reliability. Researches and evaluates AV and higher education industry trends, new/emerging technologies, and other solutions for consideration within IT or the University. Generates reports, summaries, and meaningful data and shares results with the appropriate stakeholders (whether team, IT leadership, constituents, supervisor, or others) to evaluate successes and identify opportunities for growth or improvements.
- COLLABORATION: Provides backup support and assistance to other team members. Collaborates with co-workers and University colleagues on departmental, division-wide, and institutional projects. Shares process information and makes informal recommendations on how to improve processes and overall job execution within the team/department.
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Attends training sessions, vendor presentations, user group meetings, conferences, and seminars. Engages regularly in individual professional development related activities to remain current with industry technology trends and work processes.
- COMMITTEES AND BEYOND JOB DUTIES: Volunteers to undertake tasks that stretch the employee's capabilities. Serves on various committees within the Information Technology division. Participates in external University committees. Performs other related duties as assigned.
- UNIVERSITY MISSION: Understands and supports the Christian mission of the University. Upholds the University mission through team, location, atmosphere, and work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Bachelor's degree in related technical/business areas or equivalent work experience. Excellent working knowledge of basic hardware and software products;
excellent problem solving/troubleshooting skills; advanced knowledge of working with computers and applications in a networked environment; strong people skills; strong organizational skills; strong background in AV landscape; excellent written and verbal communication skills
Preferred: Master's degree in related technical/business areas or equivalent work experience; five (5) or more years of relevant technical, business, or academic IT experience; two (2) or more years managing and leading a team; experience leading staff located at multiple worksites or campuses preferred; experience managing vendor relationships, assuring contract deliverables and compliance to university standards; PMP certification; CTS certification. Strong background in AV hardware and software support; strong technical skills in Information Technology; excellent decision-making skills and ability to work under pressure; strong experience in following emerging trends in technology; expertise in the use of major project management and collaboration software, including MS Project, Asana, MS Office, email, calendaring, and emerging collaboration tools (wikis, Google Apps, web conferencing, etc.)
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Exempt, 40 hour per week position.
Expected Pay Range: $66,600 - $74,000 per year
The above pay range reflects what Pepperdine University reasonably expects to pay for this position at time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on relevant factors such as work experience, market conditions, education/training, and skill level. In addition to base pay, Pepperdine offers a robust and highly competitive benefits package.
Advertised: Pacific Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend