Under direction of the Lead Custodian for the Department of Facilities Services (DFS), and in collaboration with your colleagues, perform physical labor for a wide variety of custodial and maintenance duties in order to provide a clean, orderly, and safe environment. Collaborate with DFS and other University departments to initiate and deliver high quality custodial services in a timely manner.
- Clean, dust and wipe furniture.
- Empty and clean wastebaskets and trash containers.
- Clear and sanitize restrooms and refill restroom dispensers.
- Clean floors as appropriate for flooring surface by sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, scrubbing, and/or shampooing.
- Clean and wash walls, windows, mirrors, and glass.
- Clean stoves, appliances, and barbeque grills.
- Clean laundry rooms.
- Remove litter and rubbish from building interiors and exteriors.
- Spray insecticides and/or set traps to prevent insect and rodent infestation.
- Move heavy furniture, equipment, and supplies manually or with equipment.
- Setup, arrange, and remove decorations and furniture to prepare facilities for events.
- Collaborate with external vendors, as required.
- Drive vehicles as required to complete assignments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Follow appropriate procedures and instructions for the use of chemicals and equipment in order to prevent damage or injury.
- Ensure all work is performed per applicable specifications, industry standards, best practices, and Pepperdine standards.
- Immediately report accidents, injuries, or unsafe conditions to supervisor.
- Identify and address issues in need of attention or repair and generate work orders accordingly.
- Lock and unlock assigned buildings.
- Secure buildings when facilities are not in use by checking for unlocked doors and windows, reporting unauthorized occupants, and turning off lights.
- Accurately record and report all work performed indicating the time and materials expended.
- Fill out cleaning log to document services rendered.
- Order, deliver, and stock paper products and supplies.
- Assist department in meeting goals and participate in staff improvement including training programs.
- Ensure effective communication and coordination among all internal and external project participants and stakeholders.
- Coordinate activities with other University departments to ensure that all parties are well-informed and that work proceeds on schedule with minimal impact to University operations.
- Maintain tools, equipment, and a clean work area.
- Drive vehicles as required to complete assignments.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Proof of legal U.S. working status. Graduation from high school or its equivalent. Minimum one year of custodial work experience. Competency using tools and operating equipment of the trade such as hand and power tools, pressure washers, buffers, vacuums, and carpet extractors. English written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Must consistently project a professional demeanor and positive attitude, and be able to effectively communicate with University community and visitors. Keep uniform in a professional appearance at all times. Normal mobility and ability to move around construction sites. Ability to bend, stoop, twist, traverse rugged terrain, climb up and down ladders and scaffolding. Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds, including up and down stairs, and occasionally lifting and carrying 75 pounds. Must hold valid driver's license, and be insurable under University's standard auto insurance requirements. Must be able to work on assigned days of the week. Willingness and ability to periodically work overtime hours, respond to emergency calls after hours/weekends, and work weekend shifts providing general maintenance duties for the campus. Broad technical knowledge of practices, principles, and techniques in the custodial field and industry standard processes. Knowledge of methods for maintaining, cleaning, and preserving a variety of surfaces. Analytical and problem solving skills to successfully resolve issues. The ability to understand manufacturers' instructions and recommendations to ascertain correct handling of materials and equipment. Basic computer skills and competency with Microsoft Office.
Preferred: One year of custodial work experience in a university setting. Valid California Driver's license.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment physical and a criminal, education, and employment screening.
This is a Regular, Nonexempt, 40 hour per week position.
Expected Pay Range: $18.00 - $19.00 per hour
The above pay range reflects what Pepperdine University reasonably expects to pay for this position at time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on relevant factors such as work experience, market conditions, education/training, and skill level. In addition to base pay, Pepperdine offers a robust and highly competitive benefits package.