Under direction of the Manager of Structural Services and Lead Multi-Craftsman for the Department of Facilities Services (DFS), and in collaboration with your colleagues, provide multi-craftsman oriented maintenance services to support University operations, including painting, carpentry, roofing, masonry, cabinetry, drywall, windows and coverings, and flooring. Complete repairs and renovation work utilizing plans, specifications, and verbal instructions. Collaborate with DFS and other University departments to initiate and deliver professional, quality results in a timely manner.
- Respond to work order requests and supervisor's directions to perform blind and slat replacement, screen replacement, light painting duties, vendor escorting, pre-event inspections, and expansion joint repairs.
- Effectively communicate and coordinate with internal and external project participants to ensure that all parties are well-informed and that work proceeds on schedule with minimal impact to University operations.
- Perform regular administrative tasks such as maintaining files, processing paperwork, entering data, and monitoring systems. Maintain required trade-specific training and certifications and obtain further training as needed. Coordinate with vendors and contractors as required. Assist other trades, and complete tasks associated with special events.
- Research, prepare, and present information as requested. Demonstrate ability to schedule and organize assigned work and provide status updates.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Perform all work in compliance with plans, specifications, applicable codes, industry standards, best practices, and Pepperdine standards. Identify and address issues in need of attention and generate work orders accordingly. Maintain tools, equipment, and a clean work area. Uphold University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Proof of legal U.S. working status; graduation from high school or its equivalent; five (5) years of applicable experience in a facilities maintenance and/or commercial construction. Analytical and problem-solving skills to successfully resolve issues. Strong English written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Consistently project a professional demeanor and positive attitude. Ability to work independently and as a team. Willingness and ability to periodically work overtime hours. Basic computer skills and competency with Microsoft Office. Must hold a valid California Driver's license, maintain an acceptable DMV driving record, and remain insurable by University insurance carrier at all times while employed. Must be able to bring a current DMV driving record printout on the first day of employment. Ability to use a desktop computer. Normal mobility and ability to move around construction sites. Ability to bend, stoop, twist, traverse rugged terrain, climb up and down ladders and scaffolding is required. Ability to lift and carry 75 pounds, including up and down stairs, and occasionally lifting and carrying 100 pounds up and down stairs.
Preferred: University experience; participation in a recognized apprenticeship and/or construction trade certification program. Experience with computerized maintenance management software such as TMA.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening, and a pre-employment physical. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Nonexempt, 40 hour per week position.
Expected Pay Range: $20.70 - $23.00 per hour
The above pay range reflects what Pepperdine University reasonably expects to pay for this position at time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on relevant factors such as work experience, market conditions, education/training, and skill level. In addition to base pay, Pepperdine offers a robust and highly competitive benefits package.