Associate Director, Communications and Public Relations
Job no: 500374
Work type: Regular
Location: Calabasas Campus
Categories: Integrated Marketing Communications, Communication/PR/Marketing
The Associate Director of Communications and Public Relations supports Pepperdine’s integrated communications initiatives aimed at strengthening Pepperdine’s brand and national reputation through communications and public relations that increase brand awareness, enrollment, fundraising, and student engagement.
Integrated Marketing Communications is directly tasked with supporting the University’s mission and strategic plan by building brand equity, elevating the University’s national reputation, providing strong and consistent institutional message leadership, and implementing effective integrated marketing and communications strategies.
- Public Relations - Identify, create, and enact public relations campaigns that support the University's strategic goals. Develop and execute approved client programs and campaigns. Develop editorial and pitching calendars, including necessary budgeting. Maintain steady and positive University presence in all media through news releases, regular one-on-one meetings, responsiveness to media requests, and other forms of outreach. Define ROI measures to quantify public relations effectiveness. Evaluate, advise, and employ public relations analytical tools and software. Closely monitor PR trends, research, and best practices, particularly in higher education.
- Crisis Communications - Protect the best interests of the University by creating and enacting crisis communications protocols. Advise University positioning on controversial or sensitive issues while exercising highest levels of discretion and confidentiality. Develop emergency protocols and policy, including communication structure, documentation, and analytics. Serve as University spokesperson as necessary.
- Social Media Outreach and Engagement - Provide oversight of University-level social media engagement strategy. Coordinate response for brand conversation and constituent management across social media platforms. Align social media content planning to augment and support public relations campaigns and University news.
- Content Marketing - Support core University messaging to ensure organizational consistency and effectiveness across internal and external channels. Deliver brand messaging and communication and content marketing plans that support the goals of schools and divisions across the University.
- Community Engagement and Strategic Partnerships - Identify and cultivate relationships on behalf of the University to advance brand reputation, recruitment, and fundraising. Advise on the creation and promotion of corporate and community partnerships. Recommend digital, print, and broadcast media advertising as it pertains to publication relationships.
- Policy and Development - Oversee development and maintenance of online pressroom and expert database. Media train and prepare talking points for University leadership and key academic experts. Develop, implement, and maintain University standards for press materials and best practices across schools. Evaluate public affairs broadcast studio models and promote broadcast opportunities.
- Perform other Duties as assigned.
- Uphold University Mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, journalism, or related field. 3-4 years of experience in an integrated communications, media with on-camera experience, or public relations environment. Experience managing, implementing, and measuring proactive public relations and crisis communications programs across print, web, broadcast, and social platforms. Superior written and verbal communications skills; demonstrated relationships with journalists and members of the media; strong project management skills, demonstrated experience in successfully working with peers, demonstrated success at working under tight deadlines, professional appearance Google Workspace, Social Media Analytic Software, Media Analytic Software.
Preferred: Master’s degree in relevant field. Experience in higher education public and media relations. Experience in leading and supervising cross-functional teams. Social media strategy and measurement Workfront, Raiser’s Edge, Adobe Creative Cloud, Cision, Critical Mention
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Exempt, 40 hour per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend