Manager, Insurance and Risk
Job no: 500909
Work type: Regular
Location: Malibu Campus
Categories: Insurance and Risk
The Manager of Insurance and Risk oversees the daily operations of the department to assist in maintaining a safe and healthy environment for the campus community. Duties include working with the university insurance portfolio, maintaining the driver database and fleet roster, assisting with maintaining the department budget, administering claims and loss control measures, and providing high-quality customer service. This position collaborates regularly with internal constituents across the University and external constituents. The Manager is supervised by the Director of Insurance and Risk.
The Office of Insurance and Risk supports Pepperdine’s mission by managing the institution’s insurance portfolio, facilitating risk discussions, and partnering with individuals and departments to develop sound mitigation strategies that enable them to achieve their vision and objectives without compromising the health and safety of the community.
- Manage the University's insurance portfolio including facilitating the completion of annual insurance renewal applications, claims management, addressing coverage questions, benchmarking with other schools, and issuing certificates of insurance.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Office of Insurance & Risk including: scheduling, responding to internal and external constituents via phone and email, maintaining files, coordinating ergonomic evaluations, and creating business processes to maximize office efficiency.
- Identify exposures to loss for property, income, liability, personnel; administrate loss control/accident investigations; administer loss history processes and other relevant data tracking.
- Interact regularly with University constituents including brokers and consultants.
- Facilitate the utilization of internal and external loss-prevention/control services.
- Collaborate with General Counsel on liability claims.
- Collaborate in the development and utilization of proactive risk management policies and procedures to prevent losses.
- Manage the University's approved drivers including: administering the approval process, requesting and reviewing Motor Vehicle Reports from the DMV, approving individuals to drive, auditing the database, and appropriately notifying the Director when employees are no longer permitted to drive.
- Assist and support the Environmental Health & Safety Manager as appropriate including scheduling event logistics and supporting Pepperdine''s LMS system.
- Serve as Critical Support Personnel for Pepperdine's Emergency Operations Committee. Manage the office's student workers including training, supervising, and mentoring them to help prepare them for work in professional offices post graduation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Bachelor's Degree; 2 years of office administration experience. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing to provide high-level customer service; maintain a positive attitude toward issues of life safety and risk management; multitask and be detail-oriented; access all areas of campus for related claims adjustment; maintain confidentiality; remain flexible with changing priorities. Ability to use Google suite programs (Docs, Sheets, etc.).
Preferred: Master's Degree in Business Administration; some experience in insurance & claims handling, emergency preparedness experience, higher education experience. Knowledge of PeopleSoft and Microsoft Access.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Exempt, 40 hour per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend