Job no: 500909
Work type: Regular
Location: Malibu Campus
Categories: Insurance and Risk
The Insurance Manager works within the Insurance and Risk office to manage the daily operations of the department related to the University’s insurance portfolio. Duties include providing high-quality customer service, working with the university insurance broker and carriers, maintaining the driver database and fleet roster, and assisting with the department budget, claims administration, and loss control measures. This position collaborates regularly with internal constituents across the University and external constituents. The Manager is supervised by the Director of Insurance and Risk and Emergency Services. Autonomy will grow as the individual develops in the role.
The Office of Insurance and Risk supports Pepperdine’s mission by managing the institution’s insurance portfolio, facilitating risk discussions, and partnering with individuals and departments to develop sound mitigation strategies that enable them to achieve their vision and objectives without compromising the health and safety of the community.
- Manage the University's insurance portfolio, including facilitating the claims filing process, and benchmarking with other schools.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Office of Insurance & Risk including: scheduling, responding to internal and external constituents via phone and email, maintaining files, coordinating ergonomic evaluations, and creating business processes to maximize office efficiency.
- Identify exposures to a loss for property, income, liability, and personnel; administrate loss control/accident investigations; administer loss history processes and other relevant data tracking.
- Provide guidance and counsel to the University community on complex coverage questions.
- Oversee annual insurance renewal process.
- Manage the Certificate of Insurance (COI) process. Review all COI requests and determine the validity of each request. Partner with the University's broker to issue COIs.
- Oversee auto claims process, making a determination about whether or not to file an auto claim on a case-by-case basis.
- Interact regularly with University constituents including brokers and consultants.
- Partner in facilitating the utilization of internal and external loss-prevention/control services.
- Collaborate with General Counsel on liability claims.
- Collaborate in the development and utilization of proactive risk management policies and procedures to prevent losses.
- Manage the University's approved drivers including: administering the approval process, requesting and reviewing Motor Vehicle Reports from the DMV, approving individuals to drive, auditing the database, and appropriately notifying the Director when employees are no longer permitted to drive.
- Manage the office's student workers including training, supervising, and mentoring them to help prepare them for work in professional offices post-graduation.
- Serve as Critical Support Personnel for Pepperdine's Emergency Operations Committee.
- Collaborate with the Director as appropriate, and perform other duties as assigned.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Bachelor's Degree. 1 year of office administration experience. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing to provide high-level customer service; maintain a positive attitude toward issues of life safety and risk management; multitask and be detail-oriented; access all areas of campus for related claims adjustment; maintain confidentiality; remain flexible with changing priorities. Ability to use Google suite programs (Docs, Sheets, etc.).
Preferred: Insurance & claims handling experience. Emergency preparedness experience. Higher education work experience. Knowledge of PeopleSoft and Microsoft Access.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Exempt, 40 hour per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend