The person in this position leads spiritual life for the university under the direction of the President’s Office. This includes oversight of Christian ministries and accompanying programs, including pastoral care, and crisis response. This position may be “Vice President” or “Associate Vice President” depending on the qualifications and experiences of the successful candidate. This position focuses on cooperation among university spiritual life initiatives across the university.
- Supervise Associate Chaplains and Spiritual Life Directors and lead the spiritual life team. Lead department-wide team meetings, attend and contribute at spiritual life programs, training, and retreats.
- Lead collaborative efforts and connection among Pepperdine spiritual life leaders across the University.
- Provide pastoral care and ministry for students of all Pepperdine’s schools. Serve as a designated confidential resource for Title IX. In the event of crises, serve as an Emergency Response Team member.
- Help to coordinate University-wide worship services. Help to coordinate the community’s public faith response to significant events in the life of the University, such as memorial and prayer services.
- Meet regularly with Senior Administration and attend meetings and committees at President’s request, including working with advancement staff to promote spiritual life initiatives; as coordinated by advancement, meet with donors interested in supporting spiritual life initiatives at Pepperdine.
- Participate in professional staff development and attend/make presentations at professional conferences, University events, and in the community.
- Lead regular assessment of spiritual life programs and learning outcomes, lead the process for annual reports of programs, and oversee the departmental budget. In collaboration with the Office of Institutional Effectiveness, coordinate regular research on the spiritual lives of students.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Bachelor’s degree; minimum five years of experience in teaching, ministry, pastoral care, and/or chaplaincy. Ability to plan and lead thoughtful, biblically-centered worship; skills and the passion to provide mature pastoral care to members of the community in times of crisis; capacity to teach, preach, and minister effectively to University students and community; mature understanding of Christian spirituality and practical experience in spiritual formation; ability to integrate Christian faith with student development theories and practice; excellent interpersonal and written communication skills; ability to maintain a professional demeanor and uphold confidentiality; ability to effectively manage emergencies and respond diplomatically to issues; ability to articulate a strong theological commitment to diversity and work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds; ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and deadlines; detail-oriented and reliable follow-up. Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access), Google Suite (Docs, Drive, Sheets, Forms, etc.)
Strongly preferred: Master of Divinity or Doctor of Ministry degree in Bible, theology, ministry, religion, or a related field; member of the Churches of Christ
Preferred: Ministry experience in a University setting; familiarity with OU Campus, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Exempt, 40 hour per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.