Job no: 500981
Work type: Regular
Location: Calabasas Campus
Categories: Integrated Marketing Communications, Communication/PR/Marketing
The associate editor creates content for Pepperdine communication channels aimed at supporting and elevating the Pepperdine brand, building reputation, and strengthening affinity. The associate editor seeks to identify compelling Pepperdine stories and envisions new ways to communicate them across media. This position reports to the senior managing editor.
Integrated Marketing Communications is directly tasked with supporting the University's mission and strategic plan by building brand equity, elevating the University's national reputation, providing strong and consistent institutional message leadership, and implementing effective integrated marketing and communication strategies. The associate editor fulfills an important role in helping the department accomplish its goals.
- Content Development - Develop, write, and publish content across Pepperdine communication channels ranging from long-form editorial to web. Lead research, fact-checking, and publishing of the Pepperdine Newsroom. Manage content development and serve as editor of the front of book of Pepperdine Magazine. Curate relevant and mission-oriented topics for Pepperdine Newsroom and build a diverse network of contacts across the University to help identify timely stories and maintain a steady stream of content. Work with the Communications Team to shape coverage of stories across platforms. Contribute to and participate in major Integrated Marketing Communications initiatives, including advertising campaigns and the President’s Report.
- Editorial Strategy - Identify, create, and execute editorial strategies that support Pepperdine’s strategic goals. Establish a clear tone-of-voice across all brand channels and touchpoints.
Identify compelling stories and envision new ways to communicate them through various channels using a robust and comprehensive editorial calendar. Ensure consistency in all editorial activity. Contribute to the evolution and enhancement of the Pepperdine voice and story.
- Administration - Serve as administrator and provide daily oversight of the Pepperdine Newsroom. Champion ongoing audit and research goals and development that reflects updated functionality around enhanced article visibility and search engine optimization. Provide back-end and front-end support to help grow the Pepperdine Newsroom platform. Lead the management and monitoring of key metrics and performance of the Pepperdine Newsroom.
- Project Management - Create and manage the editorial calendar for the Pepperdine Newsroom and guide the completion of daily posts. Coordinate with and collaborate across Integrated Marketing Communications teams to achieve project goals and ensure timely delivery of assigned tasks. Mentor and help guide the daily work of one or more staff writers. Identify and coach contributing writers through project completion.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, English, or related field. Minimum 5 years of writing and editing experience in a news, media, or publishing environment, with published bylines (clips required). Superior written and verbal communication skills. Strong project management skills. Clear personal initiative and strong ability to multitask. Demonstrated success at working under tight deadlines. Familiarity with Google Apps, Microsoft Office and other content management systems.
Preferred: Master's degree. Experience in copywriting. Experience in SEO policies and measurement. Experience in higher education. Project management software. Adobe Creative Suite.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Nonexempt, 40 hour per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend