Reporting to the Head Librarian of the West Los Angeles (WLA) Graduate Campus Library, the Public Services Assistant oversees daytime library operations at the WLA Graduate Campus Library and provides support to libraries on other Pepperdine campuses as needed. The Public Services Assistant performs a variety of duties to assist Pepperdine students, faculty, and staff, which include checking out library materials, assisting patrons, navigating the library catalog, answering directional questions, helping patrons with printing/scanning/copying documents, and answering basic reference questions.
This position supports the University’s mission and strategic plan of promoting academic excellence and Christian values by providing outstanding customer service and assisting students, faculty, and staff at the West Los Angeles Campus Library.
- Oversee library operations and manage circulation activities, including check-out and check-in procedures, print and electronic reserves, document delivery, and other patron-initiated borrowings. Additionally, assist librarians with book orders, communicate library hours to patrons via signage, voicemail message, and the website, maintain library supplies, monitor computers, maintain book stacks, and manage lost and found items.
- Assist library users at the West LA Campus library with directional, printing, circulation, and brief reference questions.
- Answer basic questions on the library's chat reference service and forward more complex questions to librarians.
- Hire and supervise student circulation workers, including creating and maintaining student work schedules, keeping an accurate account of student worker hours, and evaluating performance.
- Participate in the activities of the Graduate Campus Libraries committee, including attending meetings and collaborating on initiatives addressing the needs of graduate students and faculty.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Uphold University mission and Libraries' core values through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Bachelor’s degree. Experience in a customer service role. An appreciation for and commitment to the university’s Christian mission and a desire to contribute to that mission; demonstrated commitment to diversity and experience promoting inclusive excellence; demonstrated sound judgment and emotional intelligence; strong verbal and written communication skills; willingness to learn Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, and Zoom.
Preferred: Prior experience working in a library. Interest in education, psychology, and/or research. Familiarity with library platforms, including WorldCat, SpringShare, and/or Tipasa. Canva or another web-based design software.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Nonexempt, 40 hour per week position.
Expected Pay Range: $19.90 - $22.12 per hour
The above pay range reflects what Pepperdine University reasonably expects to pay for this position at time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on relevant factors such as work experience, market conditions, education/training, and skill level. In addition to base pay, Pepperdine offers a robust and highly competitive benefits package.