The Business Services Specialist manages the operations for the office of the Associate Vice President for Human Resources and Business Services, and assists with various projects within the division. Bringing excellence to all aspects of work and providing exceptional service, this position works directly with multiple departments, including Human Resources, Special Programs, Real Estate Operations, Graduate Campuses, and Business Services.
The Business Services Specialist ensures a seamless and professional environment conducive to world-class service and high achievement. Serving as the first point of contact for colleagues and guests, as well as communicating on behalf of the division and University, this position employs hospitality, organization, and efficiency. The Business Services Specialist is proactive and responsible for the timely administration of routine processes, as well as the overall function of the dynamic office environment.
Though the Business Services Specialist primarily provides support to the AVP for Human Resources and Business Services, the position also supports the entire Chief Business Officer division. As a member of the division’s central administrative team, the Business Services Specialist helps meet departmental goals and priorities through collaboration, initiative, and follow-through. This position works directly with colleagues and external business partners to coordinate and communicate logistics and priorities, oversee walk-throughs, write reports, draft proposals, host events, complete projects, develop checklists, perform audits, and otherwise assist as needed.
The Business Services Specialist embodies and helps establish a model workplace culture that promotes Pepperdine’s mission, vision, and strategic plan; pursues excellence in every aspect of its work; promotes collaboration and unity; attracts, engages, and retains the best employees; and honors each individual team member, among others.
- Operations, Projects, Audits, Reports, Assignments, and Events (maintain, prioritize, and administer a high level and complex task management system; track divisional expenses and projects; communicate and coordinate with partners and stakeholders, develop, review and edit presentations; prepare documents; write and edit reports and communications; benchmark and research data; manage logistics of Dining Services and VIP events with business partners and other campus department; developing schedules and checklists; conduct regular walk-throughs and provide reports of Dining Services facilities, campus bookstores, vending, and on-campus hotel; assist internal and operational audits; oversee the division's operational calendar, to ensure accuracy and alignment with partners and stakeholders; manage licensing approvals and assist with enacting the department's strategic plan; process onboarding and offboarding processes for campus business partners; facilitate vending operations, including placing orders and regular audits of sales and equipment; provide assistance to the Emergency Operations Committee, etc.)
- Hospitality and Communications - (greet guests; coordinate lunches and meetings; provide first level of service on the phones; handle inquiries and direct all inquiries to the appropriate party promptly and efficiently; compose professional correspondence on behalf of the division; prepare and send invitations; host parties and well represent the University. )
- Office Operations - (Process vendor payments, credit card payments, recharge forms, and reconciliations; manage timecards; manage files; formulate and maintain spreadsheets, department databases; interface with departments and outside vendors; coordinate travel arrangements; review incoming mail and draft correspondence; maintain office supplies, equipment, and the break room, etc.)
- Office Calendars (help manage the calendars for multiple people in the division, which requires interaction with both internal and external executives and assistants, as well as consultants, to coordinate a variety of complex meetings; utilize discretion, organization, and planning to ensure smooth time management within the division; communicate promptly regarding urgent and changing priorities; etc.)
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Uphold the University mission through all work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Bachelor’s degree. Three years of professional or educational experience in related fields or faith-based higher education. Passionate commitment to Pepperdine University and its mission, vision, values, and goals. Commitment to the highest ethical standards, with personal and professional character and integrity. Collaborative approach to work with a demonstrated ability to build relationships with a variety of personalities and work styles. Excellent oral communication skills. Superior written communication. Superior discretion and confidentiality. Exceptional organization, planning, and time management skills. Appropriate sense of urgency and responsiveness. Ability to meet deadlines and manage competing priorities. Ability to quickly learn new processes and procedures and adapt to assignment changes. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Creative and solutions-oriented approach to problem-solving. Superior attention to detail. Exceptional aptitude for customer service. High levels of initiative and a proactive approach to work. Commitment to excellence in every aspect of work. Joyful and optimistic demeanor. Familiarity and knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint). Familiarity and knowledge of Google suite. General office familiarity with printers, scanners, copiers, phone systems, fax machines, etc.
Preferred: Familiarity with Pepperdine University. Experience or background in faith-based higher education.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Nonexempt, 40 hour per week position.
Expected Pay Range:$23.80 - $26.44 per hour
The above pay range reflects what Pepperdine University reasonably expects to pay for this position at time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on relevant factors such as work experience, market conditions, education/training, and skill level. In addition to base pay, Pepperdine offers a robust and highly competitive benefits package.