The Director of Student Convocation leads and manages all aspects of the college’s convocation/chapel programming. In this role, the director has an integral voice in shaping the spiritual life experience of all Seaver College students and ensuring that the convocation program advances the University's Christian mission.
- Ensuring delivery of a vibrant convocation program by developing a cohesive vision, strong institutional support, and program content that is aligned with the mission and goals of Pepperdine.
- Representing Seaver College in the greater University community by working effectively with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Successfully administering all convocation activities, including student enrollment, engagement, grading, and exemptions, as well as program assessment. Other responsibilities may be required depending on program needs.
- Marketing and advertising of all convocation programs.
- Recruiting leaders from among the University faculty, staff, and students to support all aspects of convocation programming.
- Planning, directing, and coordinating the convocation program's annual operating budget and human resources.
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable university policies and procedures.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Master’s degree in ministry, religion, or related area; Prior successful experience leading and delivering Christian student ministry; Outstanding oral, written and interpersonal communication skills; Strong organizational skills and work ethic; A clear understanding and demonstrated experience with technology and its use; Microsoft Office suite, Google productivity suite, high level of computing proficiency.
Preferred: Doctoral degree in ministry, religion, or related area; A record of success fostering holistic student development; A thorough understanding of current issues in higher education and their effects on student ministry; Experience producing high-quality presentation content for a large audience PeopleSoft, Courses.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Exempt, 40 hour per week position.
The salary for this appointment will range from $75,000 to $92,000 and reflects what Pepperdine University reasonably expects to pay for this position. Actual salary may vary based on the qualifications and experience of the applicant and the nature of the appointment, as well as market conditions. In addition to salary, Pepperdine offers a robust suite of employee benefits.
The advisory committee to the college’s convocation program will serve as the search committee and will continue to accept and review applications until the position is filled. All applications and nominations will be handled in confidence. Applicants must submit the following materials:
- A letter of application that details relevant experience and interest in the position.
- A current resume or curriculum vitae.
- A reflection on Pepperdine University’s mission. Our mission statement declares that we are a Christian university committed to the highest standards of academic excellence and Christian values, where students are strengthened for lives of purpose, service, and leadership. Religiously affiliated with the churches of Christ, it is the purpose of Pepperdine to pursue the very highest employment and academic standards within a context which celebrates and extends the spiritual and ethical ideals of the Christian faith. In pursuit of its mission, Pepperdine reserves the right to recruit and hire persons who richly embrace the goals and Christian mission of the University.
At Seaver College, our faith calls us to uphold the highest standards of academic and scholarly excellence. To achieve this goal, the college’s mission statement affirms that we are a Christian college where each student is a person of infinite dignity and their total development is centered at the heart of our educational enterprise. Arising from our faith, we commit to pursue truth relentlessly in all disciplines, fully confident that it has nothing to fear from investigation. Candidates should thoughtfully reflect on the Christian missions of Pepperdine University and Seaver College and address the following areas in their response: 1) A consistent pattern of support for generally accepted Christian values and the mission of Pepperdine University; 2) Active participation in a community of faith; and 3)The candidate’s vision for student spiritual life at Seaver College and how this vision will be realized through their leadership of student convocation. In this statement, candidates are encouraged to address how the qualifications and prior experience addresses the responsibilities of the position
- Three current letters of reference. All letters should be specific to the position and completed within one year prior to the date of submission. The name and email address for each individual providing a letter of recommendation is required when submitting an application.
- Transcripts of all graduate work (Unofficial copies are acceptable for the application; however, official transcripts may be required for selected applicants.)
Candidates who wish to be considered for a teaching appointment in addition to the responsibilities of the director must also include a teaching statement that reflects on the candidate’s values, beliefs, and goals regarding the teaching and learning process and any pedagogical practices used or envisioned to achieve these goals.
All applicants must submit the aforementioned documents as part of the online application process at apply.interfolio.com/121082. Questions and inquiries regarding the position should be directed to:
Dean Michael Feltner
Seaver College, Pepperdine University