Onboarding and Employment Specialist
Job no: 501626
Work type: Regular
Location: Malibu Campus
Categories: Human Resources, Administrative/Office Support
The Onboarding and Employment Specialist serves as a Human Resources ambassador to University employees regarding all details involved in the employee onboarding process.
This position will manage the post-job offer onboarding process, guiding employees through new hire tasks, and acting as their primary contact for questions related to their employment, both in their first weeks and throughout their tenure at Pepperdine.
The successful candidate will have excellent attention to detail and possess a welcoming spirit with extraordinary communication skills, as well as the demonstrated ability to manage numerous competing priorities in a fast-paced, high-volume environment, reflecting the University's mission and values in all interactions.
- Manage the faculty and staff onboarding process, including sending offer letter and overseeing completion of new hire paperwork, background check, and Form I-9. Meet with employee on employee's first day, providing a welcoming spirit and high touch customer service. Communicate closely with faculty contract originators and dean's office managers about faculty onboarding status. Enter employee data into custom PeopleSoft HCM module.
- Guide hiring managers through completion of hire requests for temporary and short-term restricted positions. Track upcoming end dates for new and restricted and temporary employees, communicating with hiring managers to extend or terminate assignments.
- Provide and execute strategic vision for Pepperdine's employee onboarding process through research and benchmarking. Suggest and implement meaningful changes in the onboarding experience.
- Serve as a welcoming presenter at New Employee Orientation as well as a host for New Employee Orientation lunches, providing continuing hospitality and service to all new employees.
- Serve as system administrator of the University's HRIS, applicant tracking, background check, and Form I-9 management systems. Perform routine audits and manage restricted and confidential data appropriately.
- Represent Pepperdine University as an employer by attending job fairs and engaging with student organizations. Provide superior customer service to prospective employees, creating goodwill for the University throughout the application and onboarding process.
- Update existing employees' I-9s upon changes to work authorization. Process employee name changes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Bachelor's degree. Exceptional written and oral communication skills; Strong customer service and interpersonal skills; Strong organizational and time management skills; Exceptional attention to detail; Ability to use discretion when handling sensitive and confidential issues; Ability to organize and prioritize changing workload; Ability to work in an environment with frequent interruptions; Must dress professionally; Supportive of the Christian mission; Ability to integrate the University's Christian mission with HR practice. Proficient in MS Word and Excel; Previous database system experience.
Preferred: 2-3 years' experience in human resources, higher education, or a related field. Knowledge of California wage and hour laws; Previous experience in employment processing; Previous experience in higher education; Previous affiliation with Pepperdine University. Experience with PeopleSoft HCM, Kronos, HireRight, Form I-9 Compliance, and Google Workspace (formerly G Suite); Intermediate MS Word and MS Excel skills
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Nonexempt, 40 hour per week position.
Expected Pay Range: $23.17 - $25.75 per hour
The above pay range reflects what Pepperdine University reasonably expects to pay for this position at time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on relevant factors such as work experience, market conditions, education/training, and skill level. In addition to base pay, Pepperdine offers a robust and highly competitive benefits package.
Advertised: Pacific Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend